The Festival acadien de Caraquet launches its 2021 program
50% of the artists are from the Acadian Peninsula
The 2021 edition of the Festival acadien de Caraquet will take place from August 7 to 15! The shows will be presented to the public with the health restrictions imposed by the New Brunswick government. Distancing measures that are currently in place are planned during the event, but if the situation changes in one direction or another, the Festival team will adjust its plans.
A total of 45 artists and music groups will perform on the various stages of the Festival, including the Centre culturel de Caraquet, the Salle UNI at the Carrefour de la mer and Place du Vieux Couvent. More than 150 artists and musicians will be on stage during the Festival, in addition to the technical teams. About 15 shows will be offered free of charge. “We are very happy to be able to offer work to so many members of the artistic community this year,” says Paul Marcel Albert, President of the Festival.
The Acadian Peninsula in the spotlight
This year, the Festival will make a special place for artists from the Acadian Peninsula, since nearly 50% of the artists programmed are from this region. “It wasn't difficult to find artists from the area because the talent pool is immense, and everyone is eager to play! There is a great need for artists from here to get on stage, opportunities to play are so rare these days”, says the President of the event. Artists from the Acadian Peninsula are Aboiteau, Amélie Hall, Bernard Frigault, Brian Kelly, Chloé Breault, Dave Puhacz, Donat Lacroix et Les Gaillards d'Avant, Émé Lacroix et l’Ensemble vocale Douce Harmonie, La Trappe, Les Filles du Bocage, Les Hôtesses d’Hilaire, Maxime McGraw, Omram, Raphaël Butler, Raymond Breau, Raynald Basque, Sainte-Folie, Sandra Le Couteur, Shaun Ferguson, and Track of Rock.
Circle of songs and stories
A special evening will feature Lisa LeBlanc in an evening called Cercle de chansons et d’histoires (Circle of songs and stories). She will be joined by Daniel Léger and Maggie Savoie, as well as Kevin Arseneau as host. This show will be presented on Tuesday August 10th at the Salle UNI at the Carrefour de la mer.
Les Hay Babies, P’tit Belliveau, Les Hôtesses d’Hilaire, JP LeBlanc and his special guest Joe Murphy, Menoncle Jason, Roland et Monsieur Crapaud (for the little ones), Roland Gauvin with his brand new show, Sirène et Matelot, Spoutnique, Moyenne Rig, Dans l’Shed, Matt Boudreau, Écarlate, Marc à Paul à Jos, and La Famille LeBlanc are also on the program, as well as a show by Caroline Savoie presented in collaboration with the Centre culturel de Caraquet, a show by Roger Lord in collaboration with Musique Saint-Joachim and a staged reading of the play “Oscar et la Dame Rose” with Claire Normand presented in collaboration with the Théâtre populaire d'Acadie. Various exhibitions are also on the program, including one by Julie Caissie at the Galerie Bernard-Jean, as well as Acadian films.
50 years of Raymond Breau’s first record
The summer of 2021 marks the 50th anniversary of Raymond Breau’s first vinyl album, the first album of original songs by an Acadian singer-songwriter! To mark this event, the Festival is organizing an interview on August 12 followed by the release of his last book and a short performance by the artist.
Tickets go on sale July 7
Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday, July 7, 2021, at 10 a.m., at the various locations offered by the Billetterie Accès ticketing network, by phone at 506-726-5002 (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) or online at www.billetterieacces.ca.
Salebarbes and Bois-Joli
The show by the groups Salebarbes and Bois-Joli, which was to be presented in 2020, is scheduled to take place on Friday, August 13. Tickets will go on sale on August 4th.
Patrick Norman’s show, initially scheduled for 2020, will finally take place next year, more precisely on Monday August 8, 2022, as part of the special activities of the 60th Acadian Festival. Tickets are now on sale.
The Festival acadien de Caraquet is presented by Loto 50/50 Coopérative de Caraquet with the participation of the Town of Caraquet, Heritage Canada, Musicaction Canada and the Province of New Brunswick.
SUMMARY OF THE PROGRAM
Saturday August 7, 2021
- 9 p.m.: JP LeBlanc with a special appearance by Joe Murphy / Carrefour de la mer
Sunday, August 8, 2021
- 3 p.m.: Les Filles du Bocage / Vieux Couvent
- 3:30 p.m.: Amélie Hall / Vieux Couvent
- 7:30 p.m.: Émé Lacroix et l’Ensemble vocal Douce Harmonie / Donat Lacroix et Les Gaillards d’Avant / St-Simon Church
Monday August 9, 2021
- 3 p.m.: Sandra Le Couteur / Vieux Couvent
- 8 p.m.: Sirène et Matelot / Shaun Ferguson / Centre culturel
Tuesday, August 10, 2021
- 2 p.m.: Children’s show: Roland et Monsieur Crapaud / Centre culturel
- 3 p.m.: Brian Kelly / Vieux Couvent
- 7 p.m.: Raphaël Butler / Roland Gauvin / Centre culturel
- 9 p.m.: Song and Story Circle with Lisa LeBlanc, Daniel Léger, Maggie Savoie and Kevin Arseneau / Carrefour de la mer
Wednesday August 11, 2021
- 10 am: Children’s show: Roland et Monsieur Crapaud / Centre culturel
- 1 pm: Dans l’Shed / La Brôkerie
- 3 p.m.: Omram / Raynald Basque / Vieux Couvent
- 7 p.m.: Dans l’Shed presented by Centre-Ville Caraquet / Vieux Couvent
- 9 p.m.: Chloé Breault / Les Hay Babies / Carrefour de la mer
Thursday, August 12, 2021
- 3 p.m.: 50th anniversary of Raymond Breau’s first record / Interview with the artist, short performance and launch of his latest book / Centre culturel
- 7 p.m.: Spoutnique / Vieux Couvent
- 8:30 p.m.: Caroline Savoie presented by the Centre culturel de Caraquet in collaboration with the Festival / Foley Beach
- 10 p.m.: Matt Boudreau / P’tit Belliveau / Centre culturel
Friday, August 13, 2021
- 3 p.m.: Maxime McGraw / Vieux Couvent
- 7 p.m.: Marc à Paul à Jos / Sainte-Folie / Centre culturel
- 7:30 p.m.: Roger Lord presented by Musique Saint-Joachim in collaboration with the Festival / Bertrand Church
- 10 p.m.: Salebarbes / Bois-Joli / Carrefour de la mer
Saturday August 14, 2021
- 2:30 pm: Écarlate / Vieux Couvent
- 3 p.m.: La Famille LeBlanc / Vieux Couvent
- 7 p.m.: Track of Rock / Vieux Couvent
- 7:30 p.m.: “Oscar et la Dame Rose” by Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt presented by Théâtre populaire d’Acadie with Claire Normand / Saint-Simon Church
- 9 p.m.: Dave Puhacz / Menoncle Jason / Les Hôtesses d’Hilaire / Carrefour de la mer
Sunday August 15, 2021
- 2 p.m.: Aboiteau / Vieux Couvent
- 3:30 p.m.: La Trappe / Vieux Couvent
- 5 p.m.: Jason Mea, Georgie Cyr, Denis Dugas, Gaëtan Thériault et Denis Landry / Vieux Couvent
- 6 p.m.: Tintamarre
- 7:30 p.m.: Moyenne Rig / Vieux Couvent
- 8:30 p.m.: Jason Mea, Georgie Cyr, Denis Dugas, Gaëtan Thériault, and Denis Landry / Vieux Couvent
- 10 p.m.: Fireworks by Bernard Frigault
- 10:30 p.m.: La Trappe / Vieux Couvent